Monday, February 20, 2012

Chicken & Egg Frittata

Breakfast is the one meal that I struggle with most. Dinner is easy for me, and lunch is usually left over dinner or a big salad. But breakfast......I'm always rushed to get out the door in the mornings so I usually just boil an egg the night before and eat that with a piece of fruit. It will last me until lunch, but can get kind of boring. And I am trying to lose a few pounds, so I need to watch my fruit consumption. I recently learned that if you are trying to lose weight, limit your fruits. When you do eat fruit, stick to melons and berries. So, I will still have some fruit, but I am changing up my fruit choices. I cooked something Sunday night that will last me through the week....and it is so good and flavorful.

Ingredients:

  • 6 eggs
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp red onion, minced
  • 3 Tbsp green bell pepper, minced
  • 1 heaping handful of shredded carrots
  • 1 small handful chopped broccoli
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 12 oz cooked, shredded chicken
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • S & P to taste
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a non stick skillet saute onion, bell pepper, carrots, broccoli and garlic until veggies are soft, approx 8-10 minutes
  3. Add chicken to skillet, continue to cook
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and coconut milk until combined
  5. Pour egg mixture in skillet and stir until eggs are combined
  6. Transfer egg and veggie mixture to a greased 8x8 pan. Season top with S&P
  7. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn oven to broil for 5 minutes until edges are slightly brown
Breakfast :-)

1 comment: