Monday, February 20, 2012

Blackberry BBQ chicken

I know I seem to say this a lot, but I think I tasted the best BBQ chicken last night - and I made it!!!! Never in a million years would I think that I would be capable of preparing a dinner other than grilled cheese, pasta, or pot roast. I literally surprise myself every night at how simple and fun cooking really is. I got the idea for a fruit BBQ from Juli's site at paleomg.com. I substituted the blueberries for blackberries, and the flavor was truly out of this world. I made enough for Adam and I to have leftovers for lunch, and I am so glad I did! The original recipe calls for maple syrup, but to make this okay by Whole30 standards, just leave it out! The fruit is actually sweet enough on its own - no need for added sweetener.
Sauce Simmering

Ingredients:

For the chicken;

  • 2 lbs chicken. I used tenders but any cut will do
  • 3 Tbsp bbq rub. Be sure to read the ingredients!
  • 3 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp peper
For the BBQ sauce:
Seasoned Chicken
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups blackberries
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup coconut aminos
  • 1 Tbsp BBQ rub
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
Instructions:
Chicken Cooking
  1. Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook for about 8 minutes
  2. Add tomato sauce, blackberries, coconut aminos, bbq rub and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes
  3. While the sauce is doing it's thing, heat a non stick skillet over medium heat. Heavily coat chicken with seasonings. If you need more seasonings, add more.
  4. Place chicken in hot skillet and spoon some sauce over chicken
  5. Turn chicken over at about the 5 minute mark and cook until done.
  6. Plate cooked chicken with lots of BBQ sauce
I served mine with roasted broccoli and cauliflower with a little turkey bacon. 
Dinner is Served!

No comments:

Post a Comment