Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crock Pot Short Ribs and a WOD rant.

So, yesterday I did something crazy. Something I have never done before, and I probably won't do it again any time soon. :) I did a WOD.....twice in the same day!!! Yesterday was the grand opening of IronTribe's downtown location and I just HAD to be there in the morning for the very first WOD. I have WOD'ed with the morning coach and I know that I really enjoy his coaching style, but I have never WOD'ed with the evening coach; therefore, I wanted to go to the night class, too, so I could see how I meshed with that coach. I also wanted to try the evening out because I figured that class was when some of my 280 friends would show up. I also thought it would be interesting to see how I performed in the morning vs. evening. I will say that in the morning, I felt a little more weak and dehydrated than I am used to feeling since I mainly WOD in the evening. I did beat my morning time by THREE seconds! Ha. I also really enjoyed the evening coach (not that I expected any different) so now I'm going to have to split my time evenly :)

Knowing that I would be WODing twice, and that I probably wouldn't be up for cooking, I whipped out the ol' crock pot sunday night. I really like using the crock pot over night, instead of during the day, because when it is done in the morning, I can just throw it in tuper ware and warm it up that night for dinner. I can also go ahead and clean it that morning and so I have very little to do at night. It's really refreshing. Whole Foods was having a sale on Short Ribs, and I knew they would be excellent cooking for a long period of time in the crock pot. And I was correct!! They were so tender, that when I pulled them out of the crock pot, the meat literally slid right off the bone. During dinner, Adam made it clear that he wanted me to flag this recipe as a very-successful one and to blog about it so we would always have this recipe on hand. He loved it :) and that makes me happy.

Ingredients:

  • 2.5 lbs short ribs
  • Coconut oil
  • 1 15oz can organic tomato sauce
  • 4 cloves smashed garlic (just smash with back of spoon)
  • 1/2 TBSP dried basil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Preparation

  1. Heat coconut oil in skillet on high heat
  2. Sear all sides of meat for approx 1 min/side
  3. Transfer ribs to crock pot and season generously with S&P
  4. Place garlic directly on meat along with basil
  5. Cover ribs with tomato sauce
  6. Cook on low for 9 hours
I served this dish with green beans and a few berries. The green beans were very simple as well. Since it's Valentines Day, here is a recipe for the green beans :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
  • 2 TBSP pine nuts
  • coconut oil
  • S&P to taste
Preparation:

  1.  Heat saucepan of water until boiling
  2. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in small skillet over medium heat
  3. Once skillet is hot, add pine nuts and, stirring occasionally, saute until they begin to brown
  4. Once water boils, add green beans and cook for 6 minutes
  5. When green beans are finished season with S&P, transfer to plate and top with pine nuts.







No comments:

Post a Comment