Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pizza (with an Almond Flour Crust!)

Adam has been craving pizza lately. I am pretty sure it is directly related to the amount of baseball he is watching. We have made crust-less pizza before but I really wanted to create a pizza with an actual crust. And of course, the beauty of pizza is you can change the toppings and make it exactly how you like.

Ingredients:
For the crust:

  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Coconut oil, for greasing pan
Toppings:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 8 oz pizza sauce 
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into rings
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into rings
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • I also think mushrooms would be awesome, but Adam doesn't like them
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the crust ingredients, minus the coconut oil. Mix well until dough forms. 
  3. Flatten the dough to form a 1/4 inch thick crust. I would suggest doing this between 2 sheets of parchment paper so the dough doesn't get every where.
  4. Grease pizza pan with coconut oil and lay crust on pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown
  5. In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown turkey
  6. Meanwhile in a skillet over medium high heat, melt 1 Tbsp coconut oil and saute the onion until translucent. (I would add mushrooms at this point, if I were allowed :) )
  7. Remove onions and sear the bell peppers on both sides until tender
  8. In a small saucepan heat pizza sauce
  9. Spread pizza sauce over crust and add toppings. Broil the pizza for 5 minutes.
I served the pizza with broccoli and it turned out AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment