Friday, May 4, 2012

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

The only soup that I have made a Paleo version of is chili. This chili is hands-down the best chili I have ever had, so naturally when I am in a 'soup mood' I go for the chili. However, I have been thinking of attempting to make a different soup. I thought a lot about a soup that I really liked and that was hearty enough (read lots of meat and veggies) in it's non-paleo form to be a main dish. I decided to give Gumbo a whirl. I had no idea where to begin as I had never actually made gumbo before so I searched through some different recipes and ultimately modified a recipe that was posted on threedietsonedinner.blogspot.com.  I had a little left over chicken from a meal earlier in the week (plus some in the freezer) and I paired that with sausage. It turned out wonderful and Adam even asked if there was plenty for him to have seconds AND take some to work for lunch! Success!

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
  • 1 package chicken sausage
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 poblano pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (12 oz) package frozen okra
  • 8 cups clam stock - you can find this at publix
  • 1 tsp coconut aminos
  • 1/2 Tbsp hot sauce of choice - or more if you like it spicier
  • 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • sea salt and pepper to taste 
Instructions:

  1. Stir together paprika, cayenne, sea salt and pepper (to taste). Sprinkle over chicken and rub it in!
  2. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and sausage and cook until almost done. Remove from heat
  3. Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, poblano pepper, bell pepper, celery salt and an extra pinch of sea salt. Cook (stir often) until the veggies are tender. Add the garlic and continue to heat until garlic is fragrant
  4. Add the clam stock, dried thyme, bay leaves and the chicken and sausage. Bring soup to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce to low heat and allow to simmer approx 30 minutes. Be sure at this point the chicken has finished cooking all the way through
  5. Add coconut aminos, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Cover and allow to simmer a while longer. I let mine go for another 30 minutes or so or until the liquid reduced by a couple cups
  6. At this point, add the okra - and simmer more until okra is heated through. 
  7. Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
  8. Eat up.


1 comment:

  1. I'm totally making this. I'm thinking about trying Paleo, especially after reading your blog, because it turns out that I've basically been following the diet for years, with the exception of cheese, of course... and alcohol.. and... cupcakes. So, sort of?
    My main question is.. does Paleo demand a certain type/grade of meat? Personally, I have always been really freaked out by chickens. (I guess you could say it's an irrational fear.) I've only been eating organic, local, pasture raised chicken for years. The same kind of standards apply for beef, and needless to say, all of this gets pretty expensive. For that reason, I go back and forth with vegetarianism every few years... which from what I understand is pretty anti-paleo? Or is it cool as long as you get a substantial amount of protein elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete