Monday, May 21, 2012

Apple Chips

I can't remember if I have mentioned this or not - but I finally purchased a dehydrator!!! It took me a while to convince myself I needed one, but I am so glad that I went ahead and got it! I ordered it off Amazon and it was pretty cheap. It's not the nicest one they have but it gets the job done EVERY time. Since it arrived, I have been making lots of jerky and apple chips! This recipe for the apple chips produced the best apple chips that I have tried! I got the idea to boil them first from Marks Daily Apple - I loved that the cinnamon was cooked right in to the chip and not sprinkled on top.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 large apples
Instructions:
  1. In a large pot, add apple juice and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil
  2. Meanwhile, remove the top and bottom of the apples and thinly slice them. Remove the seeds from the individual slices
  3. Place apple slices into boiling juice and let boil for approx 6 minutes, or until the become almost translucent. Remove with a spatula and pat dry
  4. On a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack, bake the apple slices for about 40 minutes in a 250 degree oven
  5. At this point they should still be a little wet and flimsy. If they are dried and crisp then stop here! You got lucky.
  6. My chips were still soggy so I put them in the dehydrator for about 2 hours. You want to watch them so they don't get too brittle and burned

No comments:

Post a Comment