Monday, March 12, 2012

Cauliflower Rice Pilaf

I have been trying, since I began eating Paleo, to make "good" cauliflower rice. I have tried on several occasions to make this as a side and have felt like it was missing something each time. I have FINALLY found a recipe that leaves nothing to be desired. I am beyond thrilled - I could literally make this as my side every night. Now, I just need to get Adam on board :) I adapted this recipe from the Well Fed cookbook.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large head cauliflower
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil (separated)
  • 8 dried apricot, halved
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp raisins
  • 2 Tbsp pine nuts
  • 1/4 medium onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

1. Break the cauliflower into florets, removing the stems. Place the florets in the food processor bowl and pulse until the cauliflower looks like rice. This takes about 10-15 one-second pulses. You may need to do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding (which leads to mush).

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add the apricots, raisins, pine nuts, onion, and garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine and cook until the onions are translucent and the nuts start to brown, about 5 minutes

3. Push the onions to the side of the pan and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the cumin and cinnamon to the oil, then stir everything together – oil, spices, onions, nuts, and fruit . When you can smell the spices, about 30 seconds, toss in the riced cauliflower and sauté until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes. Try a bite, then season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment