Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bison Stuffed Bell Pepper

Bison. I don't even know what this animal looks like (maybe I should Wiki it) but I have seen some recipes that called for it. I've seen it in Whole Foods and have felt it calling my name. Bison. What do you taste like? Will you be too "game-y" for me? Bison. I am so glad I found you! Here are some interesting facts on the lovely animal (Wiki rules).

- They weigh up to 2,000 lbs!!!!
- They can run up to 30 mph!!!!
- Their diet consist of grass (no nasty grains!!!!)
- They are very lean (35 % less calories and 53% less fat than beef)
- They make an awesome stuffed bell pepper

Ingredients:

  • 4 bellpeppers
  • 1.5 lb ground bison
  • 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup tomato, diced
Instructions:
  1. Saute ground bison in large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through
  2. Add seasonings to bison and let the spices incorporate and simmer - then remove bison from skillet
  3. In the same skillet, heat coconut oil and saute the onion and garlic until onion is soft
  4. Add the bison back to the skillet with onion and garlic, along with the diced tomatoes. Stir until all is incorporated. Remove from heat while you prepare the peppers
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  6. Cut the top off the pepper and remove seeds and veins (as best as possible)
  7. Stand the peppers in a oiled baking dish and stuff each with the bison mixture. Place the pepper lids back on top
  8. Lightly brush the peppers with EVOO and bake for 35 minutes



*Tip: Bison tends to get pretty dry and overcook easily because it is so lean. Try not to overcook these - if a knife goes in the pepper easily and a fork has some resistance, then they are done.



As always, feel free to add whatever spices and veggies you want. This is what I happened to have on hand. I think the addition of shredded carrots, kale, and mushrooms would be yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment