Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mustard Greens

I made a huge mistake at the grocery store last night....I went without my glasses. I had planned on buying a big bag of kale to make a yummy kale salad, kale chips, and sauteed kale this week. Well, I brought home mustard greens instead. I was so upset when I realized this. MUSTARD GREENS?!?!?! YUCK! What the heck am I going to do with all these mustard greens? Then I stopped and thought to myself  "Leesa, you have never even tried mustard greens - at least give them a chance". Yes, I talk to myself. I'm awesome like that. I had no idea where to even begin, so I began by trying a mustard green leaf right out of the bag. Whoa. It was strong and peppery! My thought was to saute the mess out of these little green leaves to help minimize the strong flavor. I must admit, they were actually pretty good! I will keep experimenting with them throughout the week since I don't want to waste them. If you have never tried mustard greens before, you should. They still aren't my favorite, but it was an (unexpected) nice variation to dinner.

Ingredients:

  • a few handfuls of mustard greens, roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 yellow onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp pine nuts
Instructions:
  1. In a non stick skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
  2. Add onion and let cook until translucent. Add garlic and pine nuts.
  3. Once the garlic is fragrant, add mustard greens.
  4. Allow the mustard greens to cook down. They will significantly reduce in size.
  5. The longer they simmer the less pepper-y they will be

No comments:

Post a Comment