Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Carrot Cake Cupcakes

For Easter this year my parents had all of us over for lunch. We had a big crowd of 19 people!!!! I knew that the desserts would not be something that I could eat and I also knew that I would really want a sweet treat after lunch! I decided that Carrot Cake (how festive!) would be a perfect option and browsed the web to find the perfect recipe. The week prior, I made a sample batch to make sure they turned out good. They did, but I wasn't completely sold on them. I scoured the web some more and ultimately ended up combining quite a few different ideas to come up with the best carrot cake cupcakes ever, IMO. I hope you had a wonderful Easter and were able to spend it with family and friends!

Ingredients:
Cake:

  • 7 medium carrots, shredded
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 3 cups almond flour
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 10 medjool dates
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 4-ish Tbsp water
Icing:
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 cup coconut oil
Cake Instructions:

  1. In a food processor, shred carrots. Place in ziplock bag with 1 cup of maple syrup and let the carrots soak for an hour
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  3. In a mixing bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and baking soda
  4. Now, make the following date mixture - 
    1. Put all dates in a microwave safe bowl. Add 3 Tbsp water and microwave for 30 seconds. Mash with a fork. Add another Tbsp water and heat for another 30 seconds. Mash some more - you are trying for a smooth consistency. Next add 2 Tbsp of maple syrup and mash again.
  5. In a large mixing bowl blend eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and date mixture
  6. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine well
  7. Remove carrots from ziplock and drain excess syrup
  8. Stir carrots into cake batter
  9. Line 24 muffin tins with muffin cup liners and fill
  10. Bake for approx 25-35 minutes or until the muffin passes the tooth pick test
Icing:
  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon. Whisk until evenly combined. 
  2. Remove from heat and stir in coconut flour and melted coconut oil.
  3. Put in an airtight container and let the icing sit in fridge overnight
Spread icing on cupcakes and top with chopped walnuts if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment