Friday, January 13, 2012

Fried Plantains

Lately I have really been craving chips or something crunchy. Gone are the days of "healthy" Baked BBQ Lays and tortillas with salsa, so I had to make something that would satisfy my craving. I have made Kale Chips in the past and they are really good (I will post recipe soon) but I was really wanting something different. Plantains! Adam LOVES plantains so I thought I would give it a shot and fry some up. I have always been a little scared of plantains mainly because they look really old and nasty with all the bruises and dark color on them. BUT they turned out really good and totally satisfied by desire.

Ingredients

  • 3 plantains (the more bruised and black, the better)
  • Coconut Oil
  • Salt and pepper
Preparation

  • Slice Plantains into chip-sized pieces *
  • Heat coconut oil to medium-high heat in saute pan. Use enough to cover the bottom of the pan
  • Add plantains to oil and cook until it begins to brown (approx 2-3 mins)
  • Flip plantains and cook for an additional 2-3 mins
  • Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels
  • Season with salt and pepper
*Here is a helpful hint that I discovered while slicing the Plantains that I wish I had known before I started :)
Cut the tips off the Plantain. Then slice the plantain with the skin on. This will help keep the plantain from squishing out everywhere. Once sliced, you can easily remove the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment