Friday, August 10, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake

I know that I say this a lot, but this is the best paleo dessert that I have made. I have had many people confirm this truth, but I suppose there is always the chance they were just being nice. However, since I thought it was so good, I have made it 3 times in the past week. Don't worry, I didn't even have a bite of the second cake and only a (tiny) piece of the third. I made those cakes for friends. Although I can't promise that I didn't lick the batter clean off the spoon. And bowl  :) The first time I made this cake I used Ghee as my Fat of Choice. Ghee is not technically "paleo" since it is dairy, but it is clarified and has all of the milk proteins/casein removed. This is beneficial for those that have sensitivities to dairy. However, because I know that Ghee is a no-no to some, I decided to substitute it for a different FoC on the other cakes. I don't think that the texture or taste was altered significantly, so feel free to use which ever fat you would like. I think coconut oil would be a great choice, too! I used almond oil for the last 2 cakes and loved the extra hint of almond with the cherries. I also made some amazing paleo cherry ice cream (and I don't even have an ice cream maker!) that we ate along with the cake. Amazing!

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 cup ghee (or use almond oil or coconut oil)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup, approx, of cherries, halved and pitted.*
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix almond flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl
  3. Mix eggs, almond extract, ghee, and honey in a small bowl
  4. Incorporate egg mixture in to flour mixture. Mix until well combined
  5. Fold in chocolate chips
  6. Spray bundt pan with coconut oil, or other non-stick spray. Place halved/pitted cherries cut side UP in bottom of pan.
  7. Pour batter on top of cherries and place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake passes the toothpick test
  8. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Then, place a plate over pan and flip the pan over to release the cake on the pan.
  9. Slice and serve!
* I used approx 20 cherries, that I halved, minus a few halves that got consumed while mixing.

4 comments:

  1. Leesa,

    This sounds so good - I can't wait to test it out! Just discovered your blog and excited about reading more of your posts. Thanks for being such a great partner during Fight Gone Bad a few weeks ago! :) Hope to WOD together again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what is different about Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips? I've seen these in other paleo recipes. Where do you get them in Birmingham?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: Thanks so much for the sweet comment! It was great WOD'ing with you, too. Maybe we can partner up again for the retest!

    Maureen: Enjoy Life chocolate chips are dairy, nut, and soy free chocolate chips. They are delicious and I have found them at WholeFoods, Publix, and Earth Fare. Actually, I will clarify - the only Publix I have found them at is the one in Cahaba Heights. I know the one in Vestavia does not carry them. You could always use a high quality dark chocolate if you can tolerate dairy, soy, nuts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i wanted to make this a chocolate flavoured sponge, how much almond flour would I replace with cacao powder? Thank you

    ReplyDelete