Monday, August 6, 2012

Eating Paleo Out

A lot of people think that eating paleo out at a restaurant is difficult. I am here to tell you that it is NOT! The biggest thing that you should know is that it is OK to ask your server how the food is prepared. Part of their job is to know this information - and if you don't like how it is prepared, ask them to cook it differently. A lot of times, for instance, restaurants will cook their veggies in tons of butter.You can simply ask the server to have them cook the veggies without butter. Restaurants are used to taking special requests all day. I used to be afraid to ask for changes, but I quickly got over that once I realized that no one ever cared! Of course, the easiest modification are basic substitutions. You can always ask for a double serving of veggies, or extra cucumbers on your salad, etc. I like to get extra cucumbers instead of croutons on my salads because the cucumbers still give me the crunch that croutons provide.

Recently Adam and I went to DoDiYo's and I had no problem at all eating Paleo. I ordered the chicken kabobs and it came with a salad, and two sides. I asked that my salad have no cheese/croutons and for my dressing I asked for some EVOO. I also asked that I have two sides of the steamed veggies.

Some of my favorite places to eat Paleo around town are.....
In no particular order....

  • Village Tavern: they have awesome spaghetti squash, with some modifications and a few good salads
  • Whole Foods
  • Taco Mama: they have an entire section on their menu for "The Tribe and Workout Warriors" that is paleo
  • Vino: think sauteed crab claws, tuna skewers, fresh fish, etc
  • Flip Burger: you can get the burger lettuce wrapped
  • Urban Standard: specifically breakfast
  • Chick-Fil-A: grilled chicken tenders/nuggets and fruit. Or for breakfast, a side of scrambled eggs, grilled chicken patty and fruit
  • Another Broken Egg: grilled chicken breast, side of eggs, baked bacon and guacamole
Additionally if you find yourself at one of these places here is an idea of what you can order:
Steakhouse - steak and veggies. EASY.
Mexican - salad with steak/chicken/shrimp or fajitas and ask them to hold the tortillas
Italian - grilled chicken breast, grilled onions and veggies
Burger joint - bunless burger with all the toppings. Guacamole or avocado if they have it!

The point of this is that eating Paleo is not difficult even when you are away from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment