Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sloppy Kale Spaghetti

This recipe intended on being Sloppy Joe's, but it true form, I had some other ingredients that I needed to use up.....one of those ingredients was kale and the other was kelp noodles. If you have never cooked with kelp noodles, you are missing out. I like them better than spaghetti squash because they are crunchier and have less flavor. I'd much rather have my sauce steal the show than spaghetti squash. The key to kelp noodles is to let them boil for a while. The longer they boil the better, but do know you can eat them raw (after you wash them).The very first thing I did in preparation for this meal is boil water and throw in the kelp noodles. I let them cook until the very last second. If you don't want to bother (it's really not a bother since you just put them on the stove and leave them there) then feel free to use zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or leave them as Sloppy Joe's like they are supposed to be. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 package kelp noodles (can be found at WholeFoods)
  • 1 lb ground meat - I used ground beef
  • 1/2 bunch kale
  • Salt
  • Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 8oz can tomato paste
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp dijon mustard
Instructions"
  1. Boil water and add kelp noodles. Let them cook until you are ready to eat
  2. In a large skillet, begin browning the meat. Lightly salt as it is cooking. When meat is cooked through, remove from skillet
  3. Meanwhile, wash and roughly chop kale. 
  4. In the same skillet - the fewer dishes to wash the better - melt a little coconut oil and saute the onion and garlic until onion is soft. Add the kale and let cook until kale is tender.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix the smoked paprika, broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, syrup, chili powder and dijon mustard. Once the kale is tender, pour in the broth mixture.
  6. Cover and let simmer for approx 10 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle
  7. Add the meat back to the sauce and simmer for approx 10 more minutes
  8. Remove kelp noodles from boiling water
  9. Serve the Sloppy Kale Sauce on top of kelp noodles. 
  10. If you love fried eggs, like Adam does, serve one sunny side up on top of sauce. 
  11. Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment