Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fish Tacos

I really love taco's. A lot. The other day I was trying to remember the last time I had a taco and I couldn't remember!!! In my book, that is unacceptable. At that moment, I knew I had but one thing to do. Make paleo tacos! I've been trying to branch out a bit from the typical chicken and red meat recipes, so I decided on fish tacos. The sweet man at the seafood counter at Whole Foods recommended using Cod since it is a sweeter fish and he thought that would pair good with spicier salsa. And he was right on! I used Against All Grain to help me some with this recipe. I have made coconut flour tortilla's before but liked the addition of almond milk AAG used: the tortillas weren't quite as coconut-y. They have great ideas and recipes on the website - you should check it out.

Ingredients:
For the tortillas:

  • 6 egg whites- use the real kind; from eggs. Not a carton.
  • 4 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 4 Tbsp almond milk
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
For the fish:

  • 1 lb fresh cod
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 egg, whisked
Instructions:

  1. Marinate the fish in lime juice, salt, cumin, and chili powder for at least an hour
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and mix all of the tortilla ingredients in medium sized bowl.
  3. Heat a non stick skillet over medium high heat and spray with coconut oil (or other cooking spray)
  4. Pour some of the batter (approx 4 Tbsp) in skillet. Wiggle the skillet back and forth a bit to help spread the batter out to preferred tortilla size. I prefer my tortillas small and on the thin side. I like to taste the fish - and not all tortilla.
  5. Let the tortilla cook for about a minute and then, using a spatula, flip it over and let cook for about 30 seconds. If you can't get the spatula under the tortilla, let it cook for a few more seconds. Continue cooking the remaining batter. This made about 8 tortillas for me.
  6. Remove fish from marinade and cut into strips that are about 1 inch wide and short enough to fit in your tortilla. Dip the fish in whisked egg, then roll in shredded coconut. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
  7. Bake in oven for 5 minutes, then flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Turn the broiler on and broil for 4 minutes, rotating sides each minute
  8. Assemble each tortilla with fish and toppings of choice. I used cabbage, salsa, and guacamole!

No comments:

Post a Comment