Thursday, June 28, 2012

Best. Banana. Bread. Ever.

I've been making a lot of cookies and cupcakes lately and wanted to try something a little different. IMO, the great thing about banana bread is that it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a snack....don't you just love versatile food??!?! I adapted the recipe from one at paleomg.com which called for 1.5 cups cashews. Well, I was about 1/2 cup short so I added in 1/2 Tbsp pine nuts and 1 Tbsp almond butter, because that is what I had. If you'd rather omit the pine nuts and almond butter, by all means use the full 1.5 cups of cashews; however, this is the recipe I used...and it was honestly the Best. Banana. Bread. Ever.

Ingredients:

  • 2 large bananas, ones that are brown and spotty
  • 1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
  • 1/2 Tbsp pine nuts
  • 1 Tbsp almond butter
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 Tbsp almond oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Put cashews/pine nuts in food processor and process until very fine. This should resemble flour
  3. Once you get your cashew flour, add almond oil while processing, until it creates cashew butter. If you must, stick your finger in and taste it - but don't eat it all. It will be hard to refrain.
  4. Peel the bananas and roughly break them into pieces. Add to food processor along with almond butter and process until liquidy. 
  5. Next, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs then add almond flour, honey, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Mix thoroughly until well combined into batter
  6. Grease a bread pan with coconut oil, pour batter into pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bread  passes the toothpick test.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool, then slice and serve. I promise you, you will want to eat the entire loaf. I had one piece, and then I split the loaf in half and sent some with Adam and took some to Irontribe. (I wish I had kept it all for myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment