Monday, September 17, 2012

Zoodles & Meatballs

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted a recipe. The last recipe I posted was in AUGUST! It is now the 17th of September and that means that not one single recipe has been posted this entire month. Unacceptable. I just slapped my wrist. So I will get right to this recipe. I used Zucchini noodles for this dish and let me just tell you that they are SO much better than Spaghetti Squash noodles. As I have said before, I never was a big fan of spaghetti squash when used in spaghetti recipes. I have since found my replacement. You will need a Julianne peeler. Yes, you can use made the noodles without one, but do yourself a favor and spend $7.99. You won't regret it.

Ingredients:
  • 4-6 zucchini squash
  • salt
  • 2 lbs ground turkey
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • Spices of choice. I used:
    • garlic powder (1/2 tbsp)
    • salt & pepper (1/2 tbsp)
    • smoked paprika (1/2 tbsp)
    • cumin (1/2 tbsp)
    • cayenne pepper (1 tsp)
  • Jar of marinera
Instructions:
  1. Slice zucchini with Julienne peeler until you reach the seedy center*
  2. Put zucchini noodles on some paper towels and generously sprinkle salt over them. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. This allows the zucchini to sweat and removes excess moisture. Let sit for 20-30 mins, then rinse and pat dry.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey, whisked eggs, and spices until combined well. 
  4. Make meatballs out of the turkey mixture about the size of golf balls. You should get a lot of meatballs.
  5. In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the meatballs until almost done. Work in batches.
  6. Once all of the meatballs have seen time in the skillet, add all the meatballs back to the skillet, pour in the jar of marinara, cover, and let simmer for approx 10 minutes. 
  7. Place zoodles in a bowl and top with meatballs and sauce.
* I found it easiest to thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise. then you can lay the zucchini, cut side down, on your cutting board and it won't roll around everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment